- To prepare students for the Key Stage 4 and 5 exams within the department.
- To prepare students for GCE A-level Leisure Studies that will enable them to progress to study at further and higher education, training and employment.
- To enable students to understand the purpose of Leisure and Tourism activities.
- To stimulate the students to take an interest in Leisure and Tourism in both their local community and the wider world.
- To promote awareness within the students of issues connected to the world around them in regards to Leisure and Tourism
- To prepare students for the world of work and give them some of the practical skills needed for employment
- To prepare and encourage those students who want to further their studies in this field.
Mr Eamonn McVeigh (Head of Department)
Mr Ciaran Herron
Pupils at Key Stage 4 study the Edexcel GCSE Leisure & Tourism (Single Award).
In Year 11 they complete Unit 2 - Sales, Promotions and Operatinos in leisure and tourism.
- This unit is internally assessed under controlled conditions. (Coursework)
- A task covering the unit content will be provided by Edexcel
- Marking of the tasks will be carried out by teachers and moderated by Edexcel.
- The total number of raw marks available is 60.
In Year 12 they complete Unit 1 – Investigating Leisure and Tourism
- This Unit is externally assessed.
- A one hour exam at the end of the year.
- 50 marks available.
At Post 16 pupils study the Edexcel Applied A-Level 'Leisure Studies'.
Each year they complete 2 coursework units and 1 exam unit.
Unit 1 - The Leisure Industry (Coursework)
Unit 2 - Working Practices in Leisure (Exam)
Unit 3 - The Leisure Customer (Coursework)
Unit 4 - Leisure in Action (Coursework)
Unit 5 - Employment in Leisure (Exam)
Unit 6 - Current Issues in Leisure (Coursework)
Students on the course have taken part in the following educational day trips to observe and learn about the Leisure and Tourism Industry. On these trips they have taken part in some activities and have been provided with a presentation and discussion session with the owner/manager of each business:
- Go Karting at Raceview Indoor go kart track, Ballymena
- Waterskiing and banana boating at the Edge Watersports Centre, Ballymoney
- Outdoor activities at Watertop Farm provided by Arclinins Outdoor Activities Centre, Cushendall
- Paintballing at the Jungle Paintball Centre, Moneymore
- As well as this the Leisure Studies students are encouraged to go on the annual school ski trip as this is a detailed learning experience of leisure in action on a European scale.